All-in-one Dal with Pomegranate and Cashews
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 60mins
I love a good dal and this recipe is a dal revelation as it all cooks in one pot!
Its gingery, its coconut creamy and its super delicious. If I am going to lose you at the one hour cooking time, hang on, it literally means just popping the dish in the oven while you go on and do other things while the flavours mingle with the lentils, no constant stirring or faffing.
If the thought of serving this with pomegranates seems a step too far – please try it, I was super dubious but it totally works!
The dish can be made 3 days ahead (in fact it will only get better), reheats well and can be frozen too.
For a super speedy 30 minute red lentil dal (and yes a bit more traditional) you can find the recipe here.
Serve with some fresh garlic naan, a dollop of yogurt or a good Indian pickle or ‘atchar’ as its is known in South Africa.
What you'll need:
- 3 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods, bashed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 220g brown lentils
- 500ml hot water
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 handful shredded spinach or chard
- 1 lime, zest and juice to taste
- 1 cup cashews, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Mix the onions, oil, salt, spices, ginger and garlic in the ovenproof dish, mix well and roast in the oven with a lid on for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, add the lentils, boiling water and 1/2 coconut milk, stir well, cover and roast for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, add the rest of the coconut milk and stir through the lentils. Add the shredded spinach and place the dish back in the oven (with the lid on) for a final 5 minutes or so for the spinach to wilt.
- When ready to serve, add the lime zest and season with lime juice. Sprinkle with the toasted cashews, pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander. Enjoy!