Cauliflower, Fennel & Pear Soup with Crunchy Topping
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 30mins
Quick, easy and delicious cauliflower soup. The combination of fennel, leeks, pear and cauliflower is such a classic and I love the addition of white miso but you can totally leave it out.
I totally love how nothing gets wasted of the cauliflower as we use those delicious leaves and stalks.
Organic cauliflower is in season and try to source a lovely head full of the amazing leaves, such joy!
Serve with thickly buttered toast.
What you'll need:
a food processor or hand blender to whizz the soup
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- small bunch leeks, white parts only, chopped and carefully washed
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely sliced (fonds reserved for garnish)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white miso (optional)
- 1 large cauliflower, leaves reserved & broken into florets (see garnish)
- 1 large pear, cored and sliced
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 250ml milk of choice (I used almond)
- fennel fonds to garnish
- reserved 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- cauliflower stems, finely sliced
- leaves separated from thick stalks
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a medium saucepan over a moderate heat, add the fennel and leeks and cook, covered until the veggies are soft.
- Meanwhile let’s make the topping, to a baking tray, add the cauliflower, stems, thick stalks, pumpkin, rest of the olive oil and fennel seeds, season and roast until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the leaves, stir and roast for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the garlic and miso (if using), and cook until fragrant, 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, pear and season with salt & pepper. Add the stock and bring to a gentle simmer. TIP: the stock should just cover the cauliflower, hold back on any leftover stock, you can always add this at the end IF the soup is too thick.
- Gently cook, with the lid ajar, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes. Add your milk of choice.
- Blitz until smooth or keep chunky if you prefer, season.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and top with the topping, fennel fonds, a swirl of olive oil and a final sprinkle of pepper, enjoy!