Chipotle Black Bean, Sweet Potato & Brown Rice Stew
PREP TIME: mins
COOKING TIME: mins
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (smallish)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 x 400g tin black beans, drained
- garnish: chopped coriander
- 1 cup full fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle in Adobe liquid
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Heat the oil, add the onion, carrot and pepper and cook, covered until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, adobe chilli pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, rice, stock and sweet potato and gently simmer, covered until the sweet potato is soft, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile add all the yogurt ingredients together and adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle over the coriander if using.
- When ready to serve, place the dish in the centre of the table along with the yogurt (and other delicious toppings) and enjoy!