Classic Victoria Sponge
PREP TIME: 15mins
COOKING TIME: 25mins
A classic Victoria Sponge needs little introduction and a firm favourite of my eldest daughter who starts her final exams on Wednesday.
It is a foolproof recipe and I LOVE the ALL-IN-ONE mixing of your ingredients.
Liefie, die koek is vir jou.
Serve with more whipped cream and strawberries.
What you'll need:
2 x lined & greased 20cm cake tins ( I find the loose bottom ones the easiest to use)
Cake mixer or hand held mixer
- 225g soft unsalted butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150ml whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons (maybe more) icing sugar plus more to serve
- 2 heaped tablespoons real strawberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Add the butter, flour, sugar and baking powder to an electric mixer and mix until until well combined.
- Divide the cake mix between the prepared tins. Spread it out evenly with a spatula and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden, risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tins, then carefully turn out (you might need to run a sharp knife around the edges) onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Spread the strawberry jam and then the whipped cream over one of the cakes and place the second cake (smooth (top) side down) on top. Sprinkle liberally with icing sugar and serve! Enjoy