Honey, Tahini & Almond Granola Bars
PREP TIME: 15mins
COOKING TIME: mins
Oh my! Toasted oats, nuts, puffed millet and dried fruit are mixed with vanilla, honey and tahini – pure bliss.
I don’t have a massive sweet tooth and I am not much of a baker – but I do love something chewy and preferably loaded with roasted nuts. This recipe makes about 14 bars and they are the perfect afternoon pick-me-up or lunchbox snack.
Feel free to adapt this recipe with whatever you have at home. The recipe is quite sweet so if you prefer your snacks less sweet you can adapt the honey and dried fruit to suit your taste.
Seasonal Swaps: Fruit: figs, dates, raisons, apricots, prunes or a combination could work. Nuts: you can use any nut instead of almonds, pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts would work well.
All credit goes to Sarah Britton for this gorgeous recipe.
What you'll need:
A squared brownie pan
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (not essence)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups puffed whole-grain cereal
- pinch flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 160c and line the brownie pan with greaseproof paper.
- Place the oats and almonds on a rimmed baking sheet, keeping them seperate, and bake until the oats are golden and the everything smells toasty, about 15 minutes. Remove, cool and roughly chop the almonds.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over a low heat. Add the honey, tahini and vanilla and whisk till combined. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats & almonds with the dried fruit, cereal and pinch of salt. Pour the wet ingredients over and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared brownie pan and, using a small spatula or wet clean hands, press the mixture firmly into the pan including the edges. Place in the fridge for a couple hours to firm up and cut into roughly 14 bars.
- Store the bars in an airtight container in the fridge – ready to go! Enjoy!