Large Pasta Shells with Creamy Broccoli
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 25mins
Creamy and lemon’y’ organic broccoli nestled into large pasta shells are a thing of beauty!
On a cold Autumn day eating something indulgent and rich is the key to happiness, trust me.
I am making the most of my beautiful organic broccoli delivery and love the perfect green leaves attached to the small heads, simply chop the leaves and add them towards the end of the cooking time.
Seasonal Swaps: you can use broccolini instead, just adjust the cooking time as they will cook quicker. You can also use cauliflower instead but the overall dish might look a bit white! You can off course use any pasta that you have in your cupboard.
Serves 2 generously with leftovers or 4 with a side of something green.
What you'll need:
A food processor or hand blender
- 250g conchiglie pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 50g salted butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive tapenade
- 1 broccoli, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 250ml single cream
- (1/4 cup pasta water)
- zest of one organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (opt)
- handful roughly torn basil leaves
- salt & pepper
- Cook the pasta in well salted boiling water until al dente, drain reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and olive oil in a medium wide saucepan until foamy, add the garlic, chilli flakes and tapenade and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and mix the broccoli to coat with the butter mixture, add the cream and 1/4 cup pasta water, stir and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, covered for 8-10minutes until the broccoli is tender but not mushy.
- Add half the broccoli and cream mixture to a small food processor (or with a hand blender) and blitz until a rough ‘paste like’ sauce forms. Add the sauce back into the saucepan.
- Add the drained pasta and with two eating spoons, toss the pasta to coat with the broccoli mixture. Season with lemon zest and lemon juice to taste. Season well with salt (if needed) and lots of pepper.
- To serve, add the parmesan (or leave to the side), basil leaves and toasted pine nuts. Drizzle with oil and pop the saucepan to the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves. Enjoy!