Moroccan Spiced Carrot Pickle
PREP TIME: 15mins
COOKING TIME: 25mins
Pickles are a clever way to ‘save the season’ and preserved raw for a later date. I love this spiced pickle (with a bit of a kick) and seems to go with everything! Beetroot and even butternut would make a good veggie substitute.
•add to a green or couscous salad
•eat at a start of a meal w a selection of other pickles, dips, hummus & pitas
What you'll need:
A few sterilised jars (see note)
- 850-1kg organic carrots, peeled, grated or cut into matchsticks
- 3 tbspn olive oil
- 2 tspn cumin seeds
- 2 tspn mustard seeds
- 6 fresh curry leaves (opt but beautiful)
- 100ml orange juice
- 200ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 tspn cumin seeds
- 2 pinches dried chilli flakes
- 1 tspn good salt
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 50g fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 75g soft brown sugar
- Start with the paste by grinding the cumin seeds, chilli flakes in a mortar and pestle till a fine powder. Add the salt, garlic, ginger and grind until a fairly smooth paste, add the turmeric and sugar.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, add the cumin & mustard seeds and fry until the mustard seeds start to pop. Add the curry leaves, and fry until translucent. Add the spice paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the orange juice & vinegar and bring to a boil, add the carrots and stir well, coating all the carrots in the juices. lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15/20mim until the carrots are soft(ish) but still retain some texture & the liquid is reduced a little.
- Leave to cool and transfer to sterilised jars, seal and store for 3 months. Once opened store in the fridge.
🥕Pickles are fruit or veggies preserved by being immersed in a brine
🥕A pickle brine is usually a warmed blend of vinegar, sugar, salt and an infusion of different spices
🥕They can be sweet or savoury but are almost always sharp
🥕Pickles are a clever way to ‘save the season’ by preserving raw food for later
🥕Pickles need a period where the brine fully penetrates the veggies (4-8weeks) but you can have a quick pickle (as below)
🥕Quick pickles need refrigeration once opened
How to: Sterilize Jars
For me the quickest way is to wash the jars & lids well in very hot soapy water and leave to dry in a oven at 110c for 20min