Perfect Pickled Pink Radishes
PREP TIME: mins
COOKING TIME: mins
As pretty as a picture! The beetroot add the lovley pinkness to this versatile quick pickle. Make use of small in season radishes.
Makes about 2 or 3 jars
Add on some grilled chicken, added to a mezze platter and I love it topped on salads for extra zing.
- 850g red radishes
- 500ml apple cider vinegar
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1/2 slices raw beetroot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 110c
- Wash the jars in very hot soapy water
- Rinse well, and add to the oven for at least 20minutes
- Arrange the jars on the oven shelf, making sure the jars are not touching each other. Close the oven door and leave the jars for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Using thick oven mitts, remove each jar from the oven as needed onto a heatproof mat or heat pad, making sure you fill while the jam or preserve is as hot as the jar.
- Do NOT add cold food to hot jars, or hot food to cold jars; otherwise, the jar will shatter which is very dangerous
- To make the pickling liquid, add the vinegar, sugar and lime juices to a medium saucepan, bring to simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Slice the radishes as thin as possible, a mandolin works really well – add to the pickling mixture.
- Fill the jars adding one bay leave to each jar