Rainbow Carrot Tart
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 20mins
I literally could not wait to post this recipe. Think quick and delicious ‘thrown together’ lunch vibes which can be ready in 20minutes, just 6 ingredients between you and YUM!
This recipe is 100% adaptable to what you have in your fridge. A good ‘all butter’ pastry will make all the difference here so have a look at the ingredients as it might have margarine (or worse palm-oil) instead of butter, if it does, it’s no good for anyone and best to be avoided.
See kitchen notes (below) for easy swops.
A simple but punchy green salad would work, think rocket or watercress and I think a orange dressing would work wonders. Olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of orange juice.
What you'll need:
a large baking tray & baking paper (not wax paper)
- 1 x 400g ready-rolled puff pastry (thawed)
- 6 carrots, cut into thin’ish strips
- 1 cup cheddar
- 1 ball well drained buffalo mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- few sprigs thyme, leaves removed, stalks discard
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 180c, get your ingredients ready and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll your pastry sheet and place it on the baking tray.
- Score (cut with a sharp knife) a thin 2cm-wide border around the edge making sure not to cut all the way through. When baked the line will ‘frame’ your filling.
- Spread the mustard & the creme fraiche inside the line and scatter the cheese over.
- Arrange the cut carrots over the cheese, season and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20/25min until golden and puffed up.
- Scatter with the thyme leaves and serve warm alongside a crunchy salad.
Veggie Swops: You can use any root veg here, as long as you cut it into thin slithers (it only has 20min to soften in the oven). You can off course use regular carrots here and I think golden or candy beetroot (not red) would look pretty enough to eat.
You can use any cheese here baring in mind that some cheeses melt better than others. Gruyere and fontina would be amazing.
You can use a thick greek yogurt here instead of creme fraiche.
If you want to go dairy free you can use pesto instead of cheese.