Roasted Broccolini with Pecorino Cream
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 25mins
‘Broccolini’ in SA and purple sprouting broccoli in the rest of the world, I love it in all sorts of ways. Simply roasted with some sea salt, tossed through a pasta or with an asian twits in a simple pad thai. Although this recipe might seem a little indulgent with the inclusion of some cream and a good pecorino, but sometimes one deserves a bit of indulgence. Oh just in case you are wondering, parmesan is an Italian hard cheese made from cow’s milk and pecorino is a similar hard cheese made from sheep milk. Equally as delicious if you want to skip the breadcrumbs for a GF option (maybe some pine nuts instead?).
This would be a good side dish with some simple spaghetti tossed in some good olive oil or a nice roast protein of choice.
What you'll need:
- 400g purple sprouting broccoli
- 150ml cream
- 3 tablespoons pecorino or parmesan cheese (Gruyere will also work well)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 60g fresh white breadcrumbs
- sea salt flakes
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190c
- Trim the bases of the broccoli stalks and split any thick stalks in half at the long side
- Place in a roasting tin and toss with olive oil and season. Roast for about 15minutes.
- For the breadcrumbs, melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the chilli flakes and breadcrumbs and turn them over until they are buttery but not yet toasted, taste and season.
- Pour the cream over the broccoli and top with the buttery crumbs. Return to the oven to roast for a final 10minutes or until golden and bubbling. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve straight away.
Recipe adapted from Diana Henry Oven to Table