Spiced Cauliflower & Butterbean Traybake with Coriander Dressing
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 30mins
A family friendly traybake that takes less than 40 minutes to make. Making it the perfect Meatless Monday or midweek meal.
I love the versatility of a traybake, it can be used as a filling with soft tortillas or scatter it over some warmed couscous or quinoa for a delicious salad.
In this recipe, organic cauliflower and baby turnips are generously covered with a delicious spice paste made using an Ethiopian spice mix called berbere. I love the warming spices of cinnamon and allspice in berbere and I am thinking of more ways to use it in my kitchen.
The quick and easy dressing of coriander and yogurt can be used to drizzle over salads, baked potatoes and roasted veggies and it can be kept in the fridge for two days.
The traybake can be made ahead, just gently warm in the oven before serving or it can be served at room temperature as a salad.
You can use parsnips instead of turnips.
Vegan: For the dressing substitute the yogurt for a plant yogurt.
You can make a meal of the traybake by serving it with cooked couscous or quinoa. Feta and toasted flaked almonds would make a delicious topping.
What you'll need:
A powerful food processor to make the dressing.
- large cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 small bunch baby turnips halved or regular turnips quartered
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
- handful coriander leaves, chopped (to garnish)
- black pepper to taste
Ethiopian Spice Paste:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon berbere spice
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 cup (250ml) full fat greek yogurt
- 30g coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- zest of 1 lime & juice to taste
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Add all the paste ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- In a large baking tray add the cauliflower florets, turnips, butter beans and sundried tomatoes. Cover the vegetables with the spice paste and mix the paste into the vegetables, using your hands, until all the vegetables are well covered in the paste.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and season with pepper.
- While the vegetables are roasting make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a food processor and whiz until a smooth pourable dressing forms. You might need to add a few more tablespoons of water. Taste and season the dressing with salt or more lime juice.
- To serve, scatter the chopped coriander over the traybake and drizzle the dressing over the vegetables or serve alongside. Enjoy!