Spiced Lentil Traybake with Green Tahini Dressing
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 50mins
Quick and easy family tray-bakes are a lifesaver midweek!
Lentils and chickpeas generously coated in a spiced oil and roasted with lots of greens! The versatile coriander and tahini dressing adds a lovely vibrance to this moorish dish.
You can tone down the harissa spice to 1 tablespoon if feeding little ones.
The real star ingredient here is a jar of rose harissa which you can pick up at a good deli. I love the Belazu brand which you can even find in tiny Cape Town.
You can adapt the recipe with whatever you have in your cupboard and fridge, swapping canned beans and replacing the veg in this dish with what you have.
I love ‘hands-free’ cooking! A stunning dish which makes perfect leftovers the following day.
You can add some grilled halloumi (which I did here) and serve this dish with some couscous, rice or quinoa on the side. I think a filled sweet potato with the lentils will be out of this world too!
What you'll need:
a blender to make the dressing and a large baking tray
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1/2 broccoli (1 cup) cut into florets
- 3 cups finely shredded chard, kale or spinach
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- black pepper
- garnish: 100g watercress leaves
Green Tahini Dressing
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- juice of ½ lemon
- flaky salt, to taste
- 1 to 4 tablespoons water
- handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line the baking tray with baking paper.
- For the dressing, add all the ingredients to the blender and start with two tablespoons water, blend until smooth, adding more water if needed. Taste and season with lemon juice (if needed), salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the oil, garlic, onions and 1 teaspoon salt, mix well and roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the lentils, chickpeas, broccoli, harissa paste, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and lots of black pepper, mix well and roast for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and shredded greens, stir well and roast for the final 10 minutes until the greens are wilted and the tomatoes blistered. Remove the tray.
- To serve, add grilled halloumi on top and serve as it is or with your grain of choice. You can drizzle the dressing over the traybake or serve on the side.