Sweet Potato & Miso Soup w Sesame Ginger Prawns
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 20mins
A lovely & healthy soup, I love the sweetness of ‘very good’ for you sweet potatoes and with the umumi oomph of miso I think the combination is rather perfect.
As a vegetarian cooking for an omnivore family I love that I can just omit the prawns for an equally delicious soup, if you feel left out in terms of toppings, why not add some crispy Sichuan black pepper tofu recipe here.
Top with some chilli flakes, tofu or prawns, toasted sesame seeds and a final drizzle of sesame oil.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 300g uncooked raw prawns
- 800g sweet potatoes diced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- 30g ginger
- 1 tablespoons garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons brown miso
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- drizzle of sesame oil
- Drizzle some coconut oil in a medium saucepan and add the onions till the onions are soft, add the garlic, half the ginger and stir until fragrant about 2 minutes, add the miso and diced sweet potatoes.
- Add enough water or asian broth to just cover the sweet potatoes and simmer gently until the sweet potato is completely soft.
- Blend the soup until smooth and season with salt and pepper (or use more miso instead of salt) and more ginger if needed.
- PRAWN TOPPING: add the sesame oil to a non stick frying pan, add the sesame seeds, remaining ginger, spring onions and prawns and fry until golden – season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup warm with either prawns or tofu.
NEW INGREDIENT: MISO