Harissa Roasted Leeks & Beetroot w Bulgur Wheat
PREP TIME: 10mins
COOKING TIME: 60mins
Super Easy. This is a tasty all in one dish that is a amazing way to use lots of organic veggies. The spice of the harissa paste works so so well with the leeks and beetroot. A jar of store bought harissa is a handy ingredient to have in the fridge, they do vary in spiciness so have a taste before adding to your dish.
You can use quinoa for a gluten free version, please see method below, omit feta to make this dish vegan friendly.
I love this with watercress, feta, pistachios, chopped spring onions and mint. Pomegranate seeds will also be amazing. A few drizzles of pomegranate molasses will be such a good addition.
What you'll need:
Ovenproof baking dish
- 2 cups beetroot, washed, unpeeled, diced into 1cm chunks
- 2 cups washed, thickly sliced leeks
- 1 cup fennel, washed, thickly sliced
- 1 cup bulgar wheat/quinoa
- 400ml boiling vegetable stock
- handful coriander finely chopped
- feta cheese (opt)
- watercress (opt)
- mint (opt)
- pistachios (opt)
- spring onions chopped (opt)
- 2tbspn harissa paste
- 4tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1tspn garlic, minced
- 2 pinch salt
Orange Dressing (opt)
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1tspn dijon mustard
- 6tbspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1tspn honey/maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Mix the harissa paste ingredients together.
- Rub the beetroot, leeks and fennel with harissa mix and transfer to the oven and roast for 45min, turning the veggies halfway.
- Give the veggies a good mix, stir in the bulgar wheat and vegetable stock. Return to the oven for 15min uncovered or until the bulgar wheat is soft and fluffy.
- Quinoa will need longer time in the oven, cook covered until the quinoa has ‘popped’ and the little white ‘tail’ is visible.
- Dressing: Combine the ingredients into a jam jar and give a good shake, season to taste.
- This dish is perfectly good as a warm main meal or as a salad.
- Top with your favourite topping (see serving suggestions)